6.01.2011

I love a tall, slender, gorgeous....

WHITE VASE!
What did you think I was going to say??

My hall guest bathroom is hideous. Ugly tile. Ugly floor. Ugly vanity. Ugly shower doors.
At least it was.
I remodeled it (except the floor) this past winter. Once I get that floor done I will show you the whole room in a future post. Promise. I heart it!

Let's get back to the point here shall we?
The bathroom had this worthless medicine cabinet on the wall by the door. I didn't need it and I thought it was ugly. But...it's built in. Boo.
It had 2 shelves in it that I removed. I hand cut over 20 nail ends off, covered all the holes in wood putty, sanded and painted. So here is what it looks like

Great little nook for something lovely. Like a white vase...or better yet, 3 of them!
The problem is, I am picky. I want something slender with a great shape, in the right height. Is it easy to find something that meets my standards? Um, no.

Enter>>> Dollar Tree
I found these vases for a whopping buck a piece. Score!

Ok, so maybe they don't look that great just yet, but they will.
I've seen a lot of people in the blog world creating the look of milk glass and I thought I'd try my hand at it.

EPIC FAIL!

Maybe I added too much water to my paint, but it all ran out and left these weird paint clumps inside. They were gross. So gross I didn't even bother taking a picture of them.

Next best thing?
Why, spray paint of course!


I gave them a quick coat of primer, then 2 light coats of gloss white.
*BONUS* the spray paint filled in those ugly etchings on the outside!

Add to that some simple yellow flowers and now I have a pretty little nook in the bathroom :)


Love Love Love

Here's the breakdown for my super cheapo craft:
$3 - 3 semi-ugly vases
$1.50 - flowers from Hobby Lobby (half off baby!)
primer and spray paint - already had on hand
= $4.50!!

Mr. Perfect and my checking account personally thank me for my thriftiness (is that a word?)

Much Love~
Meredith

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. oh how i love these. i have seen the vases and love them but didnt know what to do with them. i think i am going to have to try my hand at painting vases as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the transformation! I saw those at Dollar Tree. I should have thought to paint them! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen those vases in the dollar tree and didn't buy them because I wasn't sure the etching would get cover. Well, now I know!!! And these turned out just darling. It's amazing what a little white paint can do!

    've started following you!
    If you get a chance, please stop by!

    http://bcheniful.blogspot.com/

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/BCheniful/172756599415025

    Thanks!
    Brandi at B.Cheniful

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks absolutely fabulous!! I am your newest follower!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you would link this up to my Delicately Constructed Fridays Linky Party!!
    Thanks so much!
    Have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love love love them! I need to try to spray paint glass like that. Thank you so much for sharing. I pinned it of course :) I found this project through TT&J linky party! Thank you for sharing. Come say hi! I love new followers.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally love this project! Affordable with big impact! The shape of these vases are perfect and the yellow punch of color is a great idea for decorating a space like this! I am way impressed that you worked so hard with nail heads, wood putty and the like! Can't wait to see the bathroom redo!
    Oh and thank you for linking up to WWWW - you've been featured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

    Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. Wow for a first party I can't believe we had over 300 links. Can't wait to see what you share next week. I have a special give away planned just for the linkers at the party. Thanks for grabbing the button too, you rock! I like photography too, I don't know what I am doing though with my new camera, I just keep shooting until I get something I like. My husband is actually starting a photography blog, I make him mad when sometimes my pics turn out better then his and I have no idea what I am doing. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way of turning lemons into lemonade! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...