6.20.2011

20 Minute Pillow Shams

I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day!

In other news, my blog is the featured top spot at Sassy Sites! this week! Woot!
A big THANK YOU to Marni for doing an AWE-some feature on little 'ol me yesterday!!


Photobucket

Go check out her site, it's super cute!!

Ok, so on to the project for today...

We have a love seat in our bedroom that has turned into a dumping ground for clothes and bags and whatever else I drop there. Originally I wanted to make it a space where I could be in my room and relax or read or whatever. I think the reason I dump things there instead is because it doesn't match my room and I'm secretly trying to cover it up! I've been wanting to get a slip cover for it, but for reals, they are EXPENSIVE! Not to mention it has t-cushions that translate into an even more expensive slip cover. Ugh! Anywho, the solution landed in my mail box last week in the form of a Big Lots ad. They had Sure Fit slipcovers for $20! Whoa! $20! So I snatched one up. It doesn't have t-cushions, but for 20 smack-a-roos I can deal with the fabric being worked around them. Ok, so slipcover, check! On to the pillows....

I have 2 microfiber pillows that go to our couch in the family room that we don't use. They are super squishy and great to snuggle with. They need some shams to join the party up in the bedroom. Last summer I went to a huge fabric sale at a barn in the country. This woman had 1000's of bolts of fabric that her mother had collected over her lifetime. It was heaven. So I picked up a lot of random things that I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with. I got several yards of this cream colored fabric that has this wonderful texture to it. I'm not sure what it is, but at the time I thought it would be great for pillows. Finally, I have a use for it!

So here's what I did...
I laid out the fabric and cut a piece that was twice the size of my pillow plus about 4 inches.
I did no measuring. I eyeballed all of it, but of course you can measure if you want.

Sew under both of the short ends. This fabric didn't seem like it was going to fray easily so I didn't do a very clean hem. I didn't pin the edge either, I just folded it over as I went along, making sure I kept it lined up with the edge of my presser foot. See that texture?? It's FABULOUS!

Next fold one end up, right sides together, and stitch each side closed. Fold it up a little more than half way.

Then stuff your pillow in.

Fold the other side over.

Place a pin on each side where the end should come to. Take the pillow out. then sew the end up on both sides. Make sense?

Put your pillow back in and voila!

Ignore the wrinkles in the slipcover. I swear I tried to get them out, but they're stubborn. 

Took me about 20 minutes to make each one. Super quick! I'm thinking I might add a big flower or some ruffles or something...your thoughts??
I also have another pillow to add that I'm making from an old sweater so look for that soon!

Much Love~
Meredith

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pillows. Can't wait to see the blue cable knit sweater pillow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...