10.26.2011

The BEST wreath trick ever!

Raise your hand if you like a yarn covered wreath??
ME ME I DO!!

But first, here's my list of problems with a yarn wreath...
A. I can't hang any wreath on my door that has glue. My front door faces south with no shade all day. I tell ya, it's hotter than my oven! I tried hanging a wreath last Christmas and the dang thing melted!!
B. Wrapping all that yarn on a wreath form is TIME CONSUMING...a total drain. I don't like it.
C. Let's face it, wreath forms are expensive!
With that being said, I've seen this trick floating around blogland so I won't claim that it's mine...
...go to the hardware store and buy a 6' piece of foam pipe insulation, and cut it in half. Then duct tape the ends together and presto! 2 wreath forms for less than $2!
Now on to MY new trick!!
If you like yarn wreaths, you're going to LOVE this!
It is the BIGGEST time saver EVER!
Take your insulation piece
 BEFORE you tape it, wrap it! This is seriously soooooo much easier than passing that ball of yarn from front to back of a wreath form. I timed myself, and it only took 12 minutes to wrap this 3' piece!!
 So then go ahead and tape it together. I used duct tape.
 And wrap that little section. I timed myself on that little section too and it took me 5 minutes. Imagine how long it would have taken me to wrap the whole thing at that pace! {longer than I want to spend on it}

Tell me that's not the BEST wreath trick ever!

Tomorrow I will show you the wreath I made from this and tell you how I solved problem {A} from above :)
I feel like a genius haha

Much Love~
Meredith

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Wow I love it!!!
    I'm dying to make a wreath for autumn. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best wreath trick ever! Love it! And I hear ya about the heat!
    Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Have you had any trouble getting it to stay in a complete circle? I am worried about kinks in the circle...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you SO much for this! It seriously took me like 3 hours to wrap my last wreath. THREE HOURS!!!! I hopefully can get this done way quiker for future wrapping. Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I use a pool noodle to tape together in the same way as pipe insulation for a cheap wreath form. So your awesome tip will be a PERFECT time saver. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what to do if the tape slips and the wreath creases open? I have made over 25 wreaths this weekend and come home to find them all have slightly opened at the taped part:( I am so distressed at this point. Hot glue didn't work very well at all it was tacky and melted the foam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,
      I haven't had this problem but I'm sorry you are :( Do you have a lot of humidity? Or are you using cheap tape? Make sure you wrap a fairly decent section on each side of the opening too. Hope that helps a little

      Delete
  8. You might try half inch PVC inside your foam insulation to hold its shape and give it enough strength to hold any ornamentation you might want to add. As far as the joint is concerned, we think contact cement might be compatible with the foam, but do a little research might be in order. You should maybe look at DOW GREAT STUF as a completely different possibility for glue. People who are using copper piping for a round base would put the same PVC pipe on the inside to keep it from creasing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog!

Have a fantastic day!

P.S. I do my best to reply to every single comment I get, but if you are a no-reply blogger I can't see your email address to reply. Please change your settings so we can be friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...